Let me preface this by telling you that I don't usually condone the use of so much processed food. However, I do highly recommend these cupcakes. This cake is one of my childhood favorites. My mom used to make it in a bundt pan and it even inspired my chocolate cupcake recipe.
Chocolate Chip Cake
Yellow cake mix
¾ cup oil
¾ cup water
1 8 oz sour cream
1 5 oz pkg vanilla pudding
1 6 oz pkg mini chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350°F . Combine all ingredients.
Bake until a tester inserted into the center comes out batter-free, about 20 minutes. Transfer muffins to a rack and let cool.
Easy Caramel Buttercream
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract pinch of kosher salt
1. In a medium sauce pan, mix sugar, cream and butter.
2. Bring to a boil over medium high heat stirring with a wooden spoon.
3. Continue to boil for 3 minutes stirring constantly.
4. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and sea salt. (Be careful, it will bubble!)
5. Cool to room temperature (this is important)
5. Beat with a wire whisk until smooth.
1 cup unsalted butter softened
3 cups confectioners sugar sifted
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1. Cream butter in a mixer with the paddle attachment on medium speed until light and creamy.
2. With mixer on low, slowly add powdered sugar.
3. Increase mixer speed to medium and add vanilla extract & salt, beat for 3 minutes.
4. With mixer on low, slowly add cooled caramel. Beat until all is incorporated.
Unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted
Chocolate- milk or semi-sweet, melted